42. The baker may instead calculate the price by averaging the cost of different flavors, so plan carefully. If you have the most expensive flavor on the bottom layer (the biggest), it will cost more.
43. Traditionally, couples save the cake’s top layer to share on their first anniversary. If you and your fiancé don’t think you’ll be ready to dig in, forgo the extra layer and save some dough.
44. Have a dessert buffet. Mini pastries and other tiny sweets are crowd-pleasers. Save money by having only a small cake for your cake cutting.
45. The cheesecake option can be a boon because it costs less. Arrange the cheesecakes on pedestals of varying heights—it will resemble tiers—and offer sauces, such as chocolate and kiwi.
46. At the cocktail hour save costs by hand passing pricier appetizers, like shrimp, scallops or other seafood items. When guests self serve, they usually consume 40 percent more.
47. Have a lunch or an afternoon tea reception instead of a sit-down dinner. Guests tend to drink less during the day, so you’ll save on liquor costs.
48. If you prefer an evening reception, but still want to stick to a budget, consider a desserts-only reception. Specify on the invitation that you will be serving desserts, so that guests don’t expect a full meal. Offer a delicious array of sweets: pastries, pies, mousses and a dramatic flaming treat like Bananas Foster. To accompany, serve champagne or prosecco and specialty coffees and teas.
49. Another increasingly popular choice is the cocktail party reception. Good Event planners notes that you’ll save thousands on food and decorations; after all, you can forgo big floral arrangements for your tables and adorn small cocktail tables with candles and modest bunches of blooms. Hand pass hors d’oeuvres like mini hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches and mini quiches. finger fruits and salads.
50. Consider a chic wine-tasting reception. Guests can sample from an array of small dishes at food stations, each matched with a special wine. Printed cards can explain the pairing.
Join us again tomorrow. !